Baby wrap carriers come in different styles. To identify the most comfortable one, you need to try a few. As a newborn baby carrier can be used in the front, the back, on the shoulders or across the body, it’s totally up to the parent’s comfort regarding what to purchase.
Coming to its advantages, you get a hands free experience while carrying a baby around. Also, you can’t deny that babies love to see the world from your height. It’s not only joyful but physically and mentally enriching for the baby. Provided that you use these baby carriers the right way with safety precautions up your sleeve.
The list of precautions
Without the following points, a baby wrap carrier won’t be successful in its purpose.
While choosing the carrier
- It’s the material that makes a lot of difference. It should be according to the season to make the baby feel comfortable. So, if it’s a hot summer, the inner layer must be of cotton or something. It just can’t let the baby overheat in any case.
- The broader the shoulder straps are, the comfier it is for the parents. Also, the straps must be padded and soft so that even if you have to carry it all day long, it isn’t a lot of burdens.
- Go through the tags of recommended height and weight of the baby listed in the packaging of the baby wearing wrap.
- The straps must be tightened and adjusted according to your shoulder width. Also, you must be in a position to adapt them with one hand on the go. This means that the straps must be comfortable enough in the first place.
While using the carrier
- To always keep yourself aware of baby’s expressions, keep the carrier in front with the baby facing towards you. Nonetheless, you can change the position wherever you want but the most recommended one is in front.
- Look for some tired expressions which are the first giveaways for the baby feeling uncomfortable. It’s probably due to prolonged time in the carrier.
- You definitely need external help to put the baby in any wrap carrier. Don’t expect any baby wrap to be handled by just one person.
- Wear comfortable shoes and don’t walk on slippery or very rough surfaces. You can trip over uneven surfaces which is never good for the baby.
- Sometimes, even the best baby wraps can suffocate a baby in too much heat. On days that are too warm, use a stroller instead.
- Hold on to support if you need to bend or lean forward for any adjustment of the carrier.
- While wearing or removing the baby wrap carrier, seek help from someone else as it’s the most vulnerable time for a fall.
As comfortable and useful the baby wrap carriers are, safety precautions also exist. If you follow each and every care mentioned above, you probably have the most effective parenting arsenal in your kit.