Taking care of your kid’s hair can be challenging and things can get even tougher when it is about styling their hair. Be it a boy or a girl, it’s equally challenging to style their hair to perfection. However, if you know some basics of taking care of their hair and a few simple things that can help with styling, your job will become a whole lot easier. Here we have a short guide for you on styling your kid’s hair perfectly. Let’s check out how to go about it.
Table of Contents
Start By Detangling
That’s probably the first thing you should be doing when styling your kids’ hair. Just find a cool hairstyle at MrKidsHaircuts and start by detangling his/her hair. Do so by dividing the hair into a couple of sections and securing those sections using a ponytail holder or a clip. Now, apply a de-tangling product like leave-in conditioner to a section and start combing that section. Start doing so at ends of the hair and then work all the way up. Just make sure you do it gently and do not damage the hair or hurt your child in the process. Listed below are a few things that can help with detangling.
- Let your kid read a book or watch a movie while detangling his/her hair so that it all goes smoothly. Also ensure that you both are in comfortable position.
- Use wide tooth comb for detangling.
- After detangling a section, either twist it or braid it so that it can’t get tangled again.
- In case if you are dealing with curly and kinky hair, try to be even gentler. For such hair, detangling should be done in smaller sections of hair. Fingers can also be used for detangling the hair.
- In case if you have to apply heat later on, it’s better to apply some heat protectant at the time of detangling.
Try Not To Go With Hairstyles That May Cause Tension
Going with too tight ponytails, braids, and barrettes may cause the hair of your child to start falling out. If your kid says he/she is feeling pain, you should loosen it up a bit. Obviously, hairstyles never have to be painful.
Special attention should be paid to hairline when styling hair of African-American kids. Styles like cornrows and braids must be achieved gently. Do not pull excessively as it can lead to thinning hairline. If you observe small bumps close to the hairline, it’s indicative of the fact that you’ve styled the hair too tightly.
Avoid Too Much Of Heat
You can use heat for drying the hair quickly or for straightening those curly and kinky hair. Also, make sure you have applied a good heat protectant before exposing the hair to heat. The heat is known to put your hair under stress and can result in dryness. Below are some tips on heating the hair effectively.
- Create sections of hair before you blow-dry. Start from the ends and then go up. If you’re dealing with highly textured and thicker hair, you should make smaller sections to blow dry.
- For styling African-American hair, it is advised to use blow-dryers that have a comb nozzle attached to them.
- When using an iron or ceramic comb for hair straightening, go with lowest possible temperature setting. More heat would be needed on coarse or thick hair or you can divide them in several smaller sections prior to straightening.
- When you have African-American hair to deal with, make sure you straighten them only once in a week.
Try Not To Go With Harsh Chemicals
For African-American children, the hair should not be chemically relaxed for straightening as the chemicals can have negative effect on their scalp. Due to their tighter pattern of curls, such hair is increasingly susceptible to the chemical damage. Instead, go with ceramic combs or blow-driers as they are the safer alternatives. Some other tips include:
- Only relax your kid’s hair once they’ve reached 12 years of age and make sure that the process is carried out by some professional hair-stylist.
- Never use permanent or semi-permanent hair color if your child is not 16 years old yet.
- You can use different styling products like gels, pomades, and mousse but only if they’re made specifically for children.
So, using these tips and ideas will help you style your kid’s hair perfectly. It shouldn’t have to be a complex job if you know how to go about it. Just keep the above ideas in your mind when styling your boys’/girls’ hair and you won’t have to face any issues whatsoever. Give it a try!